At Axie Infinity, we take great pride in pushing out bleeding edge features that show what’s possible when you combine Blockchain and Gaming.
Brian Flynn and Matt Condon have been pounding the door on crafting with NFT’s(Nonfungible Tokens) for months now but we still haven’t seen any team successfully incorporate crafting into their games.
We believe that a compelling crafting system will be at the heart of every successful decentralized game from this moment forward.
Crafting systems allow game assets to be combined into new, often more useful assets.
Minecraft, Diablo, World of warcraft,and Stardew Valley are all examples of successful games that implemented crafting systems.
Crafting becomes really interesting in blockchain games because it allows users to combine tokens into a new token that might have a value/utility greater than the sum of its parts.
In addition, game creators can allow for NFT’s from other ecosystems to have a role in their universe, thereby fostering the type of open ecosystems that decentralized networks are supposed to facilitate.
We see a few major benefits of a crafting system in our game.
- To create an interesting progression mechanic that ties all three core gameplay features together: PvP (competitive player battles), PvE (story-mode), and Terrariums (Axie homes).
- To allow NFT’s from other blockchain games to have a use-case in our universe.
- To prevent oversupply of the Axie population and reduce NFT “pollution” in our ecosystem.
There will be 4 main types of ingredients in our crafting system:
- Axies — Not every Axie was born for the battle arena. While players will still be able to have fun raising these Axies in Terrariums, we also wanted to add a baseline utility for even the “weakest” Axie. The properties of each Axie will be linked to the recipes they are used in. For example, Plant Axies will be used to in recipes that upgrade Plant Axie body parts. In addition, as Axies are leveled up and improved, their “crafting liquidation value” will increase!
- Terrarium Item Spawns — Terrariums will spawn different crafting ingredients. The power of these ingredients will be linked to the rarity/tier of the Terrarium item. On one end of spectrum you can expect common ingredients to spawn pretty regularly from common Terrarium items whereas there will also be super rare and powerful Terrarium items that may spawn a certain rare item a few times a year on special occasions!
- PvE Mode Drops — Monsters and especially Bosses in our PvE story-mode will have a chance to drop crafting ingredients. Think end-game bosses that have a rare chance to drop items required to upgrade your level 3 mystic body parts to Legendary…
- NFT’s from other games — Imagine crafting 10 CryptoKitties and receiving a furry Terrarium item!
For more information please join the conversation on our Discord or follow us on Twitter. Also remember to clap and share if you like this content.
Axie Infinity: https://axieinfinity.com